Thursday, March 02, 2006

tee vee 4 ever

Living in America: a Guide for the Perplexed Chapter 9

I may have mentioned it before, but it all came to me in a flash one day, when I was having a little argument with myself over whether to watch a second star treck next generation rerun. I said, go to bed, stupid. And some desperate little five year old in my mind said, no, but wait, wait, we better at least see what one it is, it might be a really good one, and I, exasperated and at my limit, said oh for god's sake, it's going to be on again, they're all going to be on again and again and again. Fuck, once internet digital television comes along they're all going to be on ALL THE TIME...

And that honestly stopped me cold, because it hadn't occurred to me before. But let's face it: the visionary has visions, and content on demand is just the way it is. Pretty soon it's gonna be full access, anything anytime. You wanna know how it's gonna run? Real easy. You can take it with commercials for free, or you can pay for it clean. Or they may just forgo the whole issue (you can always find a way to dodge the commercials) and make it one hudred percent in-content product placement (that should bring the quality of infotainment up). The day they hook that up is the day ameriCo (and likely the whole wide world with it) starts sliding down the slippery slope for real. Man, we are fucking doomed. There'll be twenty four hour death sports channels inside of ten years.

klik if you demand tedious explanations of every little thing.

No comments: