Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Earl of Sandwich is spinning in his grave

I recently saw a teevee advertisement for mass reduced sandwiches that claimed the sandwiches made by this franchise chain compare favorably to the smell of fresh baked bread at home and a sandwich made for a school aged child by a loving mother. They also claimed that they tried to get to know each customer by name, "or at least by sandwich." Now, whereas I was prone to dismiss the former implausibility as mere poetic license, this last point grated on my soul. I am not a fan of fast food (although I sometimes fall afoul of it); I certainly have not eaten a representative sample of this particular variety of sandwich. But I've had my several dozen fast sandwich shop dining experiences and never has anyone asked my name, never has anyone asked me for anything but the toppings I require, no one has ever displayed the slightest interest in me, which is fine, that's how I like it, but my god. How can these bastards have the incredible mendacity, the stunning gall, to just sink some millions into advertising sheerly for the purpose of lying nakedly to my face? My last sandwich shop experience was at the Mall of AmeriCo outlet: I was served by two fourteen to sixteen year old girls who were busier fighting with each other than working: there was not an adult in sight. Something should be done about these bastards. And right quick.

klik if you demand tedious explanations of every little thing.

No comments: