Friday, March 31, 2006

Searching for Eric Notch

I've told this one a million times. I was sitting at a table on the fourth floor of the cafeteria at the college I attended. I was smoking cigarettes with my friend Eric, who lived in the same dormitory hall as I did and knew my girlfriend and her best friend. I think I was supposed to be quitting smoking (a task I showed little enthusiasm or skill for, but I kept up a facade, mostly because of the girlfriend) and so had taken to smoking in out of the way places rather than in my room or on the dormitory balcony, my usual haunts. Although it's also entirely possible this conversation occured after the girl dumped me and I dumped any pretense of quitting smoking. Whatever the case, soon after this, Eric transferred to a different college and we never maintained a sufficiently regular line of communication to attain the sort of understanding we shared at the time this conversation took place. I can't remember what we were discussing, but I was off on one of my usual diatribes about the way things ought to be. Eric kept raising reasonable objections based on demonstrable reality and finally said something to the effect that the world just didn't work that way. And I said, "Yeah, but in a Perfect World..." and Eric said, in an completely exasperated tone of voice, "Jesus, Jon, good luck finding your perfect world."

This concludes the segment of the Kingdom Come Institute Home Page categorized "Vision"
klik if you demand tedious explanations of every little thing.

No comments: