Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Divide and Conquer

I'm putting myself up for the 2010 ticket, actually: I'm running on the archipelago platform. My contention is that the whole problem is, we keep trying to ship out or farm out or contract out our problems, and we have the same problem as when you contract out work on your house: the possibility of some scurvey shylock bastard ripping you off. This is basically what governance is in this day and age: people saying "we're governing well" when they're really governing very poorly, and charging a hell of a lot of money for it. I mean, I presume you want your neighborhood to be safe and clean and your local library to be full of valuable information but if you think that you can acheive this by going to the VFW every four years and getting some yahoo to do it by remote control from Washington, you're just crazy. So I say, let's just saw the bastard up. The first mistake we made was assuming that the federation and the confederacy were mutually exclusive concepts. It'll be the biggest engineering feat in human history: we'll blast underground, then split it all up by taking advantage of natural faultlines. Of course, state boundaries may have to adapt to some new realities. But California is too damn big anyway. So remember to look for me on the ballot when the day comes: It'll be Bright New Future time, a fine new day shining over a bunch of pleasant little islands.

klik if you demand tedious explanations of every little thing.

No comments: