Thursday, March 02, 2006

Dziuk

My mom told me several weeks after I wrote this essay that Claude Dziuk had died. Google failed me but I eventually found an article stating that he died in December. It makes me feel worse about the introductory paragraphs of this essay but still I find I have said all I had to say.

For ever and for ever farewell, Cassius!
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile.
If not, why then this parting was well made.


Minnesota Public Radio plays all the time. It is the simulation of an adult conversation that holds back the madness of spending all day every day with a baby for company. Don't get me wrong - he's good company. The best. But the conversation is... lacking.

Lately there have been a lot of sponsored plugs ("this programming is brought to you by...") for the last performance to be put on at the Guthrie Theater's original location. It is Hamlet, my favorite play and (as they endlessly repeat) the first play ever performed at the Guthrie. Every time I hear it I think about the man who introduced me to that play, Claude Dziuk.

I can't say it without sounding completely callous, and probably shouldn't even try. I couldn't tell you if Dziuk is alive or dead at this point. I know he would be in his late seventies. I was told a number of years ago that he had Alzheimer's, a cruel fate for a man who lived by and for the life of the mind, and the thought of him robbed of that mind scares me enough that I don't even want to think about where and how Claude Dziuk really is right now. I guess that's probably pretty typical. What looks like callousness is really just cowardice and I bet not many of us would rush to make a correction if the latter gets mistaken for the former by the passing observer. What do I care, nobody reads this and that's sort of the point, but nevertheless. Just to think about it really gets me down. Dziuk was unmarried and childless. If he is in a nursing home with one or two marbles left rolling around who knows who sees him if anyone. Should I feel good about the intent to laud him with a few nostalgic paragraphs when I have no intention of seeking out the man himself, and that purely out of fear, fear of confronting the awful reality of mortality and its merciless antecedents? I should not and I do not.

And then again I do not feel that bad. Of the man himself if there is life left there is little of it by any measure, and it is what it is for him and there isn't anything I can do about it. Dziuk was an influential teacher in my late high school existence which means he knew me a little for nine months, at a time that was certainly a sort of gestation for me as a person. He certainly would not know me now. And did I ever really know him? I visited him a few times after I graduated and we had perfectly cordial conversations. It seems like he had a good decade of retirement before his health really began to decline and while he deserved more (I think he was one of those people who deserve to live to be a thousand) I doubt the average man can hope to expect more. Our lives are brief. We are but a passing shadow.

That stinks of justification but there's no use trying to say anymore about that aspect of this. All I really wanted to do was remember Claude Dziuk for a little while.

Dziuk was a definite personality at my high school. I went to a good public school, populated in my years by a solid teaching staff that included a number of really standout educators. Dziuk was a student favorite and the kind of guy prematurely nostalgic alumni would reminisce about. He had a lot of personality and charisma, he told good stories, and had (to my small town boy's eyes) credentials of a cosmopolitan and traveled man that stood out in an insular and provincial town. He never married, as I said, and lived his life in a small house that he owned within the city proper of an agricultural town of around 6,000. Other than the stories he told about his past and his travels, I couldn't tell you much about his life. I think about this now, I didn't then. When you are a kid you take grownups on face value, you don't think of them having a secret life, a personal life, the same way you do. Now I am old enough to wonder at the man behind the teacher persona. I wonder how he was viewed in the faculty ecology, if eyes were rolled at the bombast and theater in his manner, if his bachelor status got discussed in the town, if there was in fact something to talk about. None of that matters to me, but it must have to him, and maybe now nobody knows what it was for him, truly nobody but God. The same waits for every single one of us, it's just a matter of time.

Dziuk was the Senior English teacher, though he styled his class more as an introduction to the Humanities, and in the end, while he got a great deal of solid teaching, most particularly in literature and composition, done in the classroom, what it really was was his platform to proselytize his gospel of humanistic literature and art, of travel, and of something I don't know a simple term for. Of taking the human experience seriously, as viewing one's own life as something singular and significant and a part of a great and storied tradition. Kids read and discussed a number of books (including the intermittently controversial Catcher in the Rye), studied and read aloud large chunks of a number of plays, heavy on Shakespeare. Endured a short section on the Holocaust, his thesis on evil, and far enough out of the character of a high school English curriculum that I wonder at it now. A section on the Renaissance, including a sort of crash introduction to art history and a slide tour of Florence. Whatever else might be said of the curriculum, thinking back I'm still impressed by how much he packed into a year. On top of this he managed to arrange field trips to theaters, concert halls and museums for some direct experience of art out there in the world.

In between Dziuk told stories of his own life. Particularly about his many travels, primarily to Europe, and earlier experiences when he took his first or one of his first teaching jobs, in the Middle East. It's been a long time but I believe it was in Lebanon. We kids encouraged the stories, partly because they were genuinely interesting and partly because it beat working. Dziuk, I think, genuinely enjoyed spinning yarns, peppered with liberal and unapologetic hyperbole and tall tales. I suspect he used stories to appease restless students between bouts of learning. And there was an unquestionable moral instruction intended, something that could only be described as humanism. As I write this it seems to me to read on paper as a caricature of some conservative's PC nightmare, but he really wasn't like that at all. Dziuk was of an older school than that, with at least as much in common with Harold Bloom as with Noam Chomsky.

My senior year was Dziuk's final year before he retired from teaching. I'd heard about him from my brother and sister, five and six years older than me, and I'd been looking forward to having him as a teacher and felt lucky to have gotten into his last class just under the wire. And Dziuk pulled out the stops for his last year: it seemed the school could hardly say no to him and he took students out to dinner theater at the Chanhassen, a hijinxy and overstaged adaptation of Candide at the selfsame Guthrie that kicked off this reverie, to see art at the Institute and the Walker, to hear the symphony at the Ordway. He made a believer out of me, I read literature on my own for the first time, Dostoyevsky and Huxley, Dickens and Whitman and Hardy. The experience permanently raised my standards and I could never after stomach the mass-produced genre garbage I'd been consuming indiscriminately and at a shocking pace (two or three fat sci fi or fantasy paperbacks a week) for the past half decade.

I haven't yet managed to be successful, frugal or inventive enough to travel the world much, though Dziuk certainly made me feel like it was essential, and it certainly owes something significant to him that I still want to, somehow, someday. For me it was the start of something I've carried since. I do not think of myself as a humanist, but its essence is humanism, maybe nothing more than seeing that we are part of a tradition that transcends the usual categories, nations and race and eras and sectarian religion.

We could use more of this these days, I think.

Dziuk seems to me now a creature of another age, something pre-postmodern. Would that be modern? It sure doesn't feel to me like the humanities have done very well at the hands of the age that was born in his lifetime, as he presented his Shakespeare and his classic novels of English Literature, his European Renaissance, his program of horizon-broadening European travel. Even to a backwards and anachronistic partisan like me it sounds old-fashioned now, and I wonder what if anything has replaced it out there in education land.

Dziuk barely registers on the internet. Yet I have to believe he has a legacy in the minds of a great many more former students than me. I am living a very different life than I ever imagined when Dziuk put a bug for art and travel in my ear at eighteen, home with the baby, the opposite of a world traveler. Even so his influence still lives in my life every day. This is the nearest thing to immortality anyone gets in this world.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Scrivener,
Thank you for your reminiscence about Claude Dziuk.
I too think of him often and of his contribution to my life.
My name is Mike Clawson, Montevideo class of 1963.
One of my best memories of Dziuk was when he took
three or four of us students to the Guthrie in 1963 to see
the Guthrie’s first play, Hamlet. Last year I took 135 of
my 7th graders to the last play at the old Guthrie location, Hamlet again,and thought of Dziuk a lot. He also took a small group of us
provincials to West Side Story during its opening weeks at the old
Cooper Theater in St. Louis Park. I hope I have on my students
a sliver of the horizon-widening influence he had on me.
Thanks again,
Mike

Anonymous said...

Just took a quizzical shot tonight, 12/29/08. Looking for answers to tragedy in my own life and clues to allegory and metaphor.

Wasn't even importent to my quest but that "Bud" make it to the internet...yes!!! and righteously so!!

I miss all the Frank and Claudia Dziuk siblings, my own father (David Guthrie Dziuk, 85) the last alive in Knute Nelson Nursing Home, Alexandria Mn and an intellectual standard in his own right.

He was also a noteworthy teacher (US History) as was my mother, Lila Dziuk (Home Economics).

I give him shit for being too conservative.. and what is a liberal in 2008???.. but he's 85 - no he's never voted republican!!

I will tell him tonight and though he will not fully understand, he will be proud.

Bud would likely not have the answers for me nor will few of this age.

But I Love and miss Bud (and others) deeply and in this perilous age, hope his faith in Humanity was not in vain.

Thank you much for your posting!

Sincerely,

Peter Michael Dziuk
Nephew

P.S. If you loved and respected Claude (Bud) Dziuk give my father a call!!! 320-763-4462

Just say you knew and loved Bud!

peter.dziuk@comcast.net

word-doctor said...

Dear Scrivener:
I ran across this while doing some family research. Bud was my great-uncle. My last few years living in Minnesota I was getting my MA in English at Mankato State, and several times got to take my grandmother, Merlin (B's sister), to visit her siblings in Foley. Bud always made it and usually brought his babaganoush.

Like me, he graduated from Macalester with a degree in English, so we always had great stuff to talk about. You're really right, though, that he was not of this era--I think that there's a population of great teachers who transcend their times, and who share in common their ability to enlighten and delight, as Dr. Johnson would have said.

I also got to teach a couple of Bud's former students in my composition class at Mankato (1992). They had nothing but good to say about him, and they could certainly write. Bud told me that after 35 years of grading over 100 essays every weekend, that he was ready to retire, but he clearly didn't pack it in years early.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

PS: Hi, Peter!

Drew Nelson, PhD
Dean of Academic Programs
Alvin Community College
Alvin TX

Raving Rendal said...

I thought I would look for Mr. Dzuik as I had a dream with him in it a couple days ago and I never knew what happened to him.

I was fortunate that in 9th grade AND 12th I had him for a teacher. I loved both times as he reminded me of my Grandma who also traveled and between the two I longed to leave the Us to go explore, something I have yet to do.

I would've given anything to travel with him. After I graduated I visited the school a couple times, always finding it to busy to do anything so I stopped going. I moved out of Montevideo, and Minnesota, in 1998 and have thought many times about the teachers there.

I honestly only know of one still there from my time and that is Butch Halterman. Anyone other than that I am in the dark. I know Mr. Hanson retired but no clue of his where abouts either.

While I wish I could've learned he was alive yet, its nice to read such a piece about a man who really was one of the best teachers I could've had.

Anonymous said...

Dear Scrivener,
There was a site on facebook that was started this week and it's called "you know you're from Montevideo, MN if.... Within 3 days, there are over 600 members. Mr. Dzuik has been brought up several times and always in such terms of endearment. I had him in my senior year for Senior English. I'm not sure any other teacher has had such an impact on me. I wasn't a good student and yet, I never missed his class. I couldn't wait to see what he was going to teach next. My son is in school to get his his secondary teaching degree and I've spoken to him of Mr. Dzuik several times. He was such an incredible man.
Carla Axelson