Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Yamamoto

i.

My brother woke me up on a Saturday morning to show me the strange cartoon he'd discovered playing early mornings. He was young and I was younger. Although I inexplicably remember it being called =Star Force,= The Cult Memory tells me the commerical title of the English language release was =Starblazers.= I had never heard the name Yamomoto and it wouldn't have meant anything to me if I had. But I loved that cartoon. In the far future they will look at animation the way we look back at sculpture, a major form of cultural expression. I was like seven.

That's why shortly after it began I conceived that the first element in the generation of the million praxis would be a feature-length cartoon of the genre conventionally known as anime. The most expensive (by a factor of more than three) example of this mode of meme infection, financed by a direct fan collective that was doomed and destined to become a fat media bureaucracy in less than ten years, (but hey, the first million would get rich...) which in turn would be financed on credit cards, unacceptable terms by business principles but spread out over several hundred thousand consumers becomes pale and meaningless on the grand scale of the National Debt, yea, a real post-modern enterprise, a Cult Phenomenon. But then, cult is the basis of culture.

The script is the thing, of course. An idea is just an idea a notion a flight of fancy that grows weary like all dreams in the retelling unless in the retelling you are DREAMING again. Who's dream is it then?

klik if you demand tedious explanations of every little thing.

No comments: