Tuesday, February 28, 2006

simpleton

I've been experiencing a lot of value out of working extensively with feeble little simpletext. At my job I work with the near-latest version of word for the mac, from office '98. I appreciate the fact that when I'm working with simpletext, my computer doesn't feel the need to correct my supposed errors (all too many of which are actually errors, certainly, but that's okay, it adds humanity and prevents lazy typing), it doesn't pop up some annoying and stone-stupid animation to =assist= me in my work (=hi there! it looks like you're too stupid to use help!=), and most of all it doesn't hassle me about my supposed overuse of the passive voice or so-called run-on sentences (they go as long as they need to, damnit!)

Ned Ludd, it should be noted, was not anti-technology per se, and so it has been noted that Luddite is a poor title for anti-technologism. I myself am not against technology (a stance that seems both ludicrous and meaningless to me) but like Ned Ludd, I know when I'm getting jacked around and I know when a machine is getting used to do the job. I haven't yet forgotten my first computer experiences with the old Apple IIC at school and my friend Roger's litttle TRS-80 at home, and so I can appreciate the virtues of getting down to business without all the bells and whistles. I also recognize that in the particularly twisted area of software commerce, it makes plenty of sense to tweak all sorts of useless baubles into a program so that you can release a new version. It may be good business but it is practically, aesthetically and morally wrong. Waste is never indicated. It takes very little to push out a horrendous quivering pentagon of semidifferentiated thought into the narrow corset of language, and to push this in turn through our fragile network of fiber optic and coax and copper wire and sattelite and thus seed whole continents with the germs of ideas. All the great spiritual geniuses of this world have warned us against greed, the desire for more than is needful. All I need is my simpletext, the appropriate tool for the job.

klik if you demand tedious explanations of every little thing.

No comments: