Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Catastrophe Muse

Taking a long hard look at it all, here, now, with six measly minutes left in a schedule that is already fifteen minutes behind. The problem with trying to do it all is that the schedule brooks no error, lagging, surprises or distractions, which is not really my personality at all. The problem with trying to have it all is that the people who already have it all are quite keen to keep it, and the odds are catastrophically skewed in their favor. So you wake to find you've been playing their game and sure enough the house has been taking you for a ride. Case in point: I look, and look again, and look harder, unflinching, eschewing estimation, optimistic projection, or wishful thinking. And I think: I am Enron, Tyco, Worldcom. It's easy to be smart, later, but now is now and what can I say of these grotesque exemplars of corporate excess. The large is reflected in the small, I understand exactly what they were thinking. And I sure the hell am not anything like alone.

Time's up.

No comments: