Wednesday, January 18, 2006

33 Klassix: Ground Rules or, Trying to Serve Two Masters

If I was meek and hesitant in setting out my intent in writing this, I fear my instinct is to meander and pussyfoot around even more when it comes to the delicate issue of asking for money. But ask I must. It’s fine and well to talk about art for art’s sake, and I suppose in a way I have been doing this art of writing for it’s own sake for a long time. But part of the deal, of trying to make a real go of it, means making a living, in place of my past employments where I was merely earning a wage. So I have created opportunities for patronage. I call it this because what I’m about here is an untested quality: because whatever compensations I offer for your support, however interesting and diverting they might be to the engaged watcher of my ways, are not exactly the kind of thing you would be likely to seek out and purchase in a shop of your own initiative, even if you could. What I’m really selling at this point is myself, and the opportunity to create some space, financially, for me to explore writing without feeling too acutely the pressure of spending my time without generating an income for my family.

NOTE: THE PATRONAGE SYSTEM IS NOW DEFUNCT. DONATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
this is what is up with this.

No comments: