Wednesday, July 12, 2006

UNPLUG

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

Mary Chase, Harvey

As a piece of meaningless aside personal trivia, I played Dr. Chumley in a stage production of said play when I was in high school. By my own estimation I was a mediocre actor.

The internets have been putting me in mind of that quote, frequently, as of late. I see the urge to be oh so smart everywhere, I feel it flowing through my own veins like bad cholesterol looking for a warm berth to set up shop and group for a future heart attack. And I realize a simple but very difficult fact: I have come to loathe and despise rhetoric.

And it seems to me like rhetoric is running this world, an engine fueled by an unending supply of human deficiency.

I gotta go. I won't be able to supply anything I implied, promised, or threatened with regards to this misbegotten writing experiment. Not here, not anywhere. Not now, maybe not ever. Maybe someday, when I have become more pleasant, I will start something new. Right now I need to unplug.
klik if you demand tedious explanations of every little thing.

No comments: